5 Ingredient Dessert – Chocolate Cake for Two
Looking for an easy dessert that you can make for you and your sweetheart? I’ve definitely got you covered with this 5 ingredient dessert chocolate cake for two!
With Valentine’s day right around the corner, I thought it only fitting that this week’s Five Ingredient Friday is a rich and decadent dessert. There’s just something about chocolate desserts that makes them romantic.
This chocolate cake for two recipe is not only great because it makes dessert for just the two of you, but because it can be baked and served in a jar! And although the title “5 ingredient chocolate cake in a jar for two in a jar” is a little long, it totally applies. Cake and desserts in jars are always so fun!!
Ok, so lets talk jars, shall we? I happen to have some .5 liter Weck glass jars because I love the looks of them because they photograph really well, but they’re also really useful because they can be used when canning or making quick pickles (like these quick pickled vegetables I’ve been dying to make again!) I also have a bunch of 16oz Mason jars that I love using for smoothies (like for this 5 ingredient green power smoothie or this soothing shake).
I have used both Weck and Mason jars for this recipe, both work great! Weck jars do tend to be a little bit more expensive and harder to find (one usually has to purchase them online, like here) whereas Mason jars are seemingly everywhere these days. Both can be used in this recipe, it’s a personal preference, and what you have around the house. If you have little springform pans (I would use 2 4-inch ones -like the ones I used in this coconut cream fruit tarts dessert) you could use those as well!
What do you do for Valentines day? Usually my hubby makes us steak for dinner, but the smell of cooking meat is a no go around my house these days because of being preggo, so instead of trying to cook at home, we’re going to one of our very favorite supper clubs (where they have this green goddess dip and relish tray I plan to eat all of) and I’ll more than likely be enjoying seafood, because that’s what i’m really digging right now. But for dessert? For dessert we will be having this 5 ingredient chocolate cake for two, it’s SO good.
The chocolate cake is very rich, yet light at the same time. It’s sweet, but not to sweet, and when topped with berries and cream, it’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart. I know you’ll love it, and happy Valentines day to you!
- 3 large eggs
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, plus ½ teaspoon for coating jars
- ¼ cup raspberries (or any berries) for topping
- ¼ cup cool whip (or whipped cream or ice cream) for topping
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 2 Weck or Mason jars with butter and set on cookie sheet.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) beat eggs for 3-5 minutes, until doubled in size.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate and butter in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate and butter is melted, mine took 1 minute. Be careful not to over-heat the chocolate, otherwise it will seize.
- Add chocolate into the egg mixture and beat for 1 minute, until well combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and beat for another 30 seconds. Pour into prepared jars, batter should come up no more than ¾ the way of the jar (it will puff up when baking).
- Bake for 25 minutes, until top puffs up and the middle isn't giggly anymore. When baking the chocolate cake may rise from the bottom of the jar so that there's a little gap between the bottom of the jar and bottom of the cake.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes (or until cooled completely). The cakes will deflate a little.
- Top with raspberries and cool whip and serve. These are good served warm or cold.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, the tops will deflate.
2, .5 Liter Weck Jars
2, 16 oz Mason Jars
2, 4 inch springform pans