5 Ingredient Healthy Pasta for Meal Prep Lunches
Lunchtime just got a little more delicious! By making this 5 ingredient healthy pasta for meal prep, you can now look forward to lunches again!
Do you ever get bored with lunch options? I know I really do! I work out in the middle of nowhere, and while there are a few options, I just don’t feel like making the trip (in the snow – or lately, rain) and eating something I’m not really wanting, or that isn’t the best for me health wise. The only thing that really works for me is planning a little ahead and meal prepping.
This pasta is amazing. It’s so easy to make, flavorful, and filling! I know you (like me) have 8 oz of whole wheat pasta leftover from last weeks’ Five Ingredient Friday recipe (this awesome 5 ingredient pancetta parmesan cauliflower pasta recipe) so that is what we’re going to use for this recipe. It’s just 5 ingredients, and the beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it by what you have on hand. The 5 ingredients in this pasta recipe are whole wheat pasta (you can use any type of pasta), turkey sausage (or chicken sausage, or any type of sausage), swiss chard (or spinach or kale), olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Super easy to make, and when you divide it up, you have 2 ounce portions of pasta, so you’re not sitting there eating more than a serving (which I’m totally guilty of!)
I pack lunches for my hubby and I almost every day. There are some occasions where I haven’t done any meal prepping, and we both can really tell and send each sad face emojis during lunch. What I like to do is to take a few hours on Sunday to meal prep, it ensures that we have something made and ready to eat for the week. Here are some of my favorite recipes for meal prepping:
- Breakfast: 5 ingredient vegetable frittata (this one reheats really well!)
- Lunch: the recipe below for this 5 ingredient pasta, or the best shrimp cauliflower fried “rice” (I could seriously eat this every day)
- Snacks: energy bites are my go tos! I make these no bake oatmeal cookie energy bites (pictured above) all the time. I also make these coconut date energy bites (they’re consistently one of the most popular recipes on my site) and my hubby always requests these 5 ingredient peanut butter pretzel energy bites!
- Dinner: This turkey meatloaf and roasted vegetables is omg so good and perfect for meal prepping and so is this 5 ingredient slow cooker salsa chicken and quinoa for healthy meal prepping. I also love making recipes from my cookbook (because the recipes all only have 5 ingredients in them!!) like the below pictured Italian sausage parmesan rigatoni which is such a great easy meal that freezes/reheats really well.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about some of my favorite recipes to meal prep, among them is definitely this 5 ingredient pasta with sausage and swiss chard. Do you meal prep? I’d love to know!
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta - can use any type of pasta you'd like
- 4 turkey sausage links - can use any type of sausage you'd like (each link should be 2.5-3 oz, 10-12 oz total)
- 1 bunch of rainbow swiss chard, cleaned and chopped (about 4 cups raw) - can use kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain, and divide the pasta into 4 containers.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over high heat add ½ tablespoon of olive oil and cook the sausage until brown and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes, turning every few minutes to brown. Remove the sausage from the pan and slice and divide among the 4 containers.
- Next add the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and add in the swiss chard. Cook, stirring occasionally until the swiss chard reduces, about 5 minutes (sometimes I add in a few tablespoons of the pasta water if the pan seems to dry). Divide the chard among the 4 containers.
- Top each container with ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Put a lid on each container and shake it a couple of times to mix everything. Store in the refrigerator and enjoy within a week.