Baked Chicken, Potatoes, Carrots and Herbs from the Farmers Market
One of my all time favorite easy chicken recipes, this baked chicken potatoes carrots and herbs dish is one I make year round!
We live really close to an amazing Farmers Market, I’m talking walking distance! So what I love to do in the summer is take my wonderful husband as a bag carrier and head to the Farmers Market. Why do I need him with me? Well, because as I explained to him, if I go by myself I end up buying way to much stuff -like watermelons for example- and then drop them on the way home (this actually happened … and more than once) so I clearly need supervision and help carrying the bags!
With all the fresh vegetables I get, I love to just roast them in the oven for dinner, I have made this over and over and over because it is so simple and full of flavor (the carrots I get are both yellow and orange!) If you’re looking for other roasted vegetable and chicken dinner recipes, here are a few of my favorites: roasted vegetables with chicken sausage, roasted whole chicken and carrots with lemon and thyme<–a huge favorite dish of mine, and roasted potato and kohlrabi salad<–makes a great side dish as part of this farm to table dinner with rotisserie chicken and ginger glazed carrots!
I use a Pyrex baking dish like this because after I’m done baking it and want to store leftovers in the fridge, I just put the lid on it. These baking dishes with lids are truly my favorite ones and I use them ALL the time.
This dish is totally customizable to what you have on hand. Instead of fresh herbs you could use Italian seasoning (I would use 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons instead of 2 tablespoons fresh herbs).
- 1.5-2 lb Chicken breasts (cut into halves)
- 1-2 lb Potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 1-2 lb Carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Fresh Herbs (such as Thyme, oregano, parsley and rosemary-finely chopped)
- 1 Tbs Salt and Pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt and onion salt/granules or powder.
- Preheat oven to 400. Peel and cut the vegetables, herbs and chicken. In a baking dish scatter the onions, potatoes and carrots, sprinkle with salt, pepper and half the herbs and half the olive oil. Next add the cut chicken breast on top and add remaining olive oil, herbs, salt, pepper, garlic and onion salt. Put in oven and bake for 55 minutes, allow to cool for 5 minutes and then enjoy the fresh taste!
Here are a few pics of my little raised planter box garden and my compost bin. Clover (my dog) likes to lay in the sun and watch me garden. The lower right is a picture of my garden as of this week-the tomatoes and peppers are coming along very nicely this year! I started my garden years ago and it does so well with my worm compost.
Do you compost?
If you make this recipe and love it as much as my family does, I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments section.
Disclaimer: some of the above links are affiliate links, if you purchase amazon products through my store at no cost to you, I will earn a few pennies. As always, all opinions are my own and thank you for supporting the brands and products I love that make the Sweetphi blog possible.