This cookie is definitely going on the remake list! It is a wonderful honey-walnut cookie that tastes spectacular! My husband had requested these cookies once after having a disappointing experience with the actual Baklava dessert because it was too sticky and all the flavors were kind of mushed together, and he had said ‘you should make a cookie that tastes like baklava’ and so here they are-the recipe is an adaptation of about 3 different recipes i found, and are husband & friend approved 🙂
- 2¾ Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1½ Cups chopped walnuts
- 1 Tsp each Cinnamon and Baking Soda
- 1¼ Cup Butter at room temp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Glaze/drizzle: ½ cup honey (use filtered honey, not raw or unfiltered-like the kind you find in a little bear )
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs butter
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- For the cookies: Beat butter and sugar until creamed, add in eggs, vanilla and combine, then add all the remaining cookie ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350, on parchment paper lined cookie sheets roll dough into 1 inch balls, then flatten on sheet a little and bake for 10-12 minutes. These cookies can easily be over baked without looking over baked, and they are actually really good a little softer (but also have a good crunch) so take out of the oven after 10-12 minutes!
- For the glaze, melt all ingredients except nuts in a small sauce pan whisking constantly. When it starts to come to a slow boil, remove from heat, stir in walnuts, and let sit for 10-15 minutes to cool down a little bit.
- When cookies are done, transfer them to cookie sheet, and then drizzle with a spoon a little bit of the glaze on each cookie and enjoy!
The cookie dough-it is a little crumbly the cookies with the glaze
the finished cookies waiting to be eaten!