I had 3 bananas that were about to go bad and didn’t want to make banana bread, so I found a really cool recipe for Peanut Butter and Banana Cupcakes on Your Cup of Cake, so of course I decided to modify it with what I had in the house.
Banana Cupcake Ingredients:
1 ½ cup plus flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
1 ½ cup sugar
3 mashed bananas
2/3 Skim milk with half a lemon squeezed in it (this is instead of buttermilk and they turned out perfectly)
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese ( I use the reduced fat version)
4 tablespoons butter, softened
½ cup creamy peanut butter (I used Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter-can be purchased at Whole Foods or some grocery stores)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
¼ cup skim milk
1 regular sized butterfinger candy bar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add one egg at a time and then add mashed banana.
5. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk until everything is combined. Don’t over mix.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until light. Add peanut butter and let mix for 2 minutes. Alternate adding powdered sugar and skim milk. (Only add as much powdered sugar as you want, some like it sweeter than others.)
8. Use a spatula and spread onto cooled cupcakes.
9. Use crushed butterfingers to top.
This frosting makes enough for 24 cupcakes. So if you plan to hand frost them and not use as much frosting as piping would, then half the recipe. I currently have half of it in my fridge and will frost some cookies or something else soon with it because the frosting is so good!
Ingredients (Please note the Dark Chocolate Peanut butter made by the Peanut Butter Company)
banana cake cupcakes out of the oven. I really filled them and the recipe made 18 cupcakes
All done and ready to serve. They are really beautiful, just had to post another picture !