Beer Cheese and Carrot Soup
I love a good hearty soup, and ever since moving to Wisconsin (where we seem to be having an endless winter), I discovered Beer Cheese Soup, let me tell you-it is delicious! So my replica adds some carrots and is served with a hearty piece of toast … YUM!
- 2 Large Carrots (or 4 regular size carrots)
- 1 cup Light Beer
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4-6 oz Sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 Tbs flour
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- For seasoning about ½ tsp each: salt, garlic salt, onion powder and pepper
- A dash of cayenne pepper for heat
- Clean and cut carrots into little pieces, in a pan melt 1 tbs of the butter, add the carrots and cover it in the spices. When the carrots are almost all cooked through (about 10 min), add the chicken broth and the beer, bring it to a boil, and then turn it down to simmer.
- In a second pot melt the remaining butter and whisk in flour-it will be like a paste. Add the milk slowly and whisk vigorously so that there are no clumps. When combined, bring to an almost simmer (about 3 minutes) and then add the cheese in handfuls whisking in between so that it becomes a creamy mixture. Add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce, then add the carrot mixture to the cheese and stir to combine, allow to cook for 2 minutes together, then it is ready to enjoy! If you like a thicker soup, you can add a few more tablespoons of flour.
The soup ready to be enjoyed!