Beet Green Mac and Cheese Cups and Beef Polish Sausages
I used beet greens in this dish to create Beet Green Mac and Cheese Cups. They were delish, and added a wonderful flavor. I love beets and got some from the farmers market, but had never used the greens, so this was a great way to use more of the vegetable!
- 1 bag 10oz Brown Rice Pasta Elbow Macaroni
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten Free all purpose flour
- 1.5 Cups Skim Milk
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 oz Pepper Jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 oz Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1.5 cups chopped beet greens
- 1 tbs salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 package Beef Polish Sausages
- Preheat oven to 400. In a pan fry the chopped beet greens with the olive oil and garlic. Beet greens are like spinach, they wilt when they are done. When done set aside.
- In a pot boil water and cook pasta according to directions.
- In a sauce pot heat the butter and as it melts add the flour to create the base of your sauce, then add the milk and egg and egg white and continue to whisk until it thickens (about 5 minutes), remove from heat.
- In bowl shredd the cheeses and add the cooked pasta, sauce, and beet greens. Add 1 tablespoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and stir. Coat 1 muffin pan with 6 large tins and then a 12 tin one and fill cups with the pasta mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a beef polish sausage that has been cooked in a pan for 10 minutes with cooking spray-delish! To assemble simply pop one or two muffin cups filled with mac and cheese onto a plate and serve with a sausage. There were 18 muffin cups so there was more mac and cheese than sausages which was a-ok, we just had it as leftovers!