Black Bean Pie
I modified this recipe from one I found on the Sign for your Supper Blog. I added some things and think you will definitely add this recipe as a ‘go to,’ I know I will. This was delicious as a dinner, but we had leftovers for breakfast and I think it’s a great breakfast or brunch recipe.
- 2 9-inch pie crusts, reduced fat if you can find them
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (I got one reduced fat, one seasoned)
- 1 cup salsa (your favorite store-bought brand or homemade-I found one with the least calories)
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 flour tortillas
- ½ block reduced fat cream cheese
- Chili powder
- cilantro (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Open the pie crust package and at the bottom of one of the pies, cut the cream cheese in slices and place on the bottom. In a bowl combine the beans, salsa, cheddar cheese, a ½ tsp chili powder, salt and pepper and a little cilantro if using. Spread 1/3 of the mixture in the bottom of the pie on top of the cream cheese. Top with one of the flour tortillas. Repeat with another 1/3 of the bean mixture. Finally, spread the last of the bean mixture. Top with the 2nd pie crust and seal the edges with your fingers. Sprinkle the top of the pie with chili powder and make 4 small slits in the center of the crust with a small knife.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.