Next time you’re looking for a summer dessert that everyone is sure to love, look no further than this strawberries and cream icebox pie. It is a true summer staple, the icebox pie is made with fresh summer strawberries and then has a creamy filling that cools to be almost like an ice cream cake, it’s an all around amazing pie, and best part is that it is a no-bake dessert!
I’ve always loved strawberry desserts. When I was growing up my mother used to make us each our favorite kind of cake for our birthdays. While my sisters would always opt for a chocolate cake (like this raspberry and chocolate layer cake) I would always want something with strawberries. Even my wedding cake had strawberries in it! I’m a strawberry fiend! So clearly I’m ALL about desserts and pies that include strawberries, like this strawberries and cream icebox pie.
I think my favorite thing (besides the flavor combination) about this pie is that it is a no bake pie. No preheating the oven and baking something, no sitting in the kitchen sweating as the temperature inside reaches the high of the temperatures outside The only thing one does is boil the strawberries so they get all soft and syrupy, and then one mixes the cream layer together while the strawberries are cooking.
The whole pie takes all of 15 minutes to put together, then one just lets it set it the refrigerator (or ‘icebox’ if we’re being retro and cool like that) for a few hours (or overnight) and then viola, strawberries and cream icebox pie perfection.
I usually end up making this pie the night before events I bring this to. It’s really nice to be able to make a dessert ahead of time and then day of the event not need to worry about a thing.
Do you see the Mexican street corn salad in the picture above? That is also a bring-along favorite!
The next time you’re looking for a crowd pleasing summer dessert, definitely make this strawberries and cream icebox pie to bring along!
- 1 premade graham cracker pie crust
- For the strawberry layer:
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced, then divided
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cream layer:
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, at room temp
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16oz) container cooled whipped topping
- In a sauce pan add about ¾s of the strawberries, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Cook on medium, stirring occasionally until the mixture starts to boil and thicken, about 5 minutes) then remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes while making the cream layer.
- In a bowl with a hand mixer cream together the cream cheese, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Having the cream cheese at room temperature keeps it from clumping, so make sure the cream cheese is not cold. Cream until smooth (about 2 minutes) then add in the cooled whipped topping and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon strawberry mixture from the sauce pan into the bottom of the pie dish, next spoon and smooth the cream mixture on top of the strawberries. Lastly add the remaining fresh strawberries as decoration on top. Refrigerate the pie 4 hours or overnight, then slice and enjoy!