I lied, there are technically only 4 ingredients in these amazing crystallized ginger baked plums AND they are naturally gluten free and vegan.
I am clearly on a plum kick and just so happen to have had some red plums on hand for comparison against Italian plums I used when I made the most delicious Italian Plum and Apricot Preserves Sticky Cake earlier this week (I’m not even kidding, if you haven’t already, I’m pretty sure you need to add the cake to you ‘must try’ list…but don’t put down your pen just yet, add these ginger baked plums to that same list.)
And who knew there were so many kinds of plums? I saw three different kinds at the grocery store, these red plums, black plums, and Italian plums, then there are Japanese plums (that are yellow) and European plums…and who knows how many other kinds, but you can bet that next time I see a plum variety I haven’t tried, I will stop whatever I’m doing to try it!
Making these baked plums is ridiculously easy, you cut up crystallized ginger, mix it with some white and brown sugar, and spoon it over plums.
Then you bake the plums, and they turn into sweet baked plum perfection. The crystallized ginger gives it a nice little kick, and the sweetness of the sugar and tang of the plums meld perfectly together!
And if you’re feeling a little indulgent, you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or soy dream (or vegan ice cream). The classic vanilla coolness goes perfectly with the warm ginger plums!
- 4 Red Plums, pits removed and halved
- 2 Pieces crystallized ginger, finely chopped (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbs Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pitted, halved plums skin side down in a baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the white and brown sugar, then stir in the ginger pieces.
- Spoon sugar-ginger over plums, about 1-1.5 teaspoons over each plum half.
- Bake for 15 minutes, allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!