Chicken and Leek Skillet Bake
As it gets colder outside, one just wants to have some warm, yummy, comfort food for dinner, right? If you just thought to yourself ‘yes, that sounds exactly right’ then this is a recipe for you to try! On my trip to the farmers market last weekend I had picked up 2 leeks that I wanted to use, and they worked perfectly in this recipe, resulting in a creamy delicious tasting dish that in my opinion tasted like a better version of the standard ‘chicken & biscuits’ that you might have had in the past.
In my last post about Sartori Cheese and recipe for Pepper Parmesan Chicken using the SarVecchio Parmesan I told you how they graciously sent me 5 cheeses to try, and since I had some SarVecchio Parmesan shredded, I decided to mix it with some shredded Rosemary and Olive Oil Asiago for this recipe and was very pleased by the resulting cheesy flavor combination that had hints of rosemary in it.
Another cool thing about this recipe is that I did all the cooking in the one skillet (aside from making the buttermilk biscuit dough in the food processor and cleaning the leeks) so clean up was a breeze (although I gotta tell you, cleaning skillets is not my favorite thing to do!)
Here is the recipe for Chicken & Leek Skillet Bake with Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts
- 3 Cups Reduced Fat Chicken broth (99% fat free)
- 2 Leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 oz Cream Cheese, Reduced fat
- ½ Cup SarVecchio Parmesan Cheese, shredded (Sartori Brand)
- ½ Cup Rosemary Olive Oil Asiago, shredded (Sartori Brand
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tsp each salt, pepper, parsley flakes
- For the Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 1¼ Cups Flour
- ¾ Cup Buttermilk, Reduced Fat
- ¼ Cup Butter, cold and cut into 4 pieces (1/2 stick)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cream of Tarter
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In a skillet or dutch oven, bring chicken broth to a boil, add chicken breasts, turn heat down to medium and allow to cook for 40 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the chicken broth, Shred the chicken with two forks and set aside. Preheat oven to 425.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and add chopped up and cleaned leeks and cook until leeks become a little translucent -about 10 minutes.(Make sure your leeks are really cleaned well, otherwise they may have dirt/grit in them...what I do to clean mine is chop them up, and then place them in colander and then place that in a large bowl full of water, I read somewhere that the dirt loosens and goes to the bottom of the bowl. I also then run water over them in the colander.) When the leeks are done cooking, and shredded chicken back into the skillet, and add the reserved chicken broth and cream cheese-whisk until it combines (some clumps are ok), then add the salt, pepper, parsley flakes and shredded cheese. Stir a few times and set aside to drop the biscuit batter on.
- To make the biscuits: in a food processor add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda, pulsate until combined (5 seconds). Add the butter and pulsate until it becomes a crumbly mixture (10 seconds). Then add the buttermilk and process until it is a doughy mixture (10 seconds). With a large spoon take spoonfuls of the biscuit batter and drop on top of the skillet (it's ok if the drops don't touch, they will expand when they bake.
- Put skillet in the oven (I like to put a cookie sheet underneath in case anything bubbles over) and bake for 15 minutes or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.