Chocolate Strawberry Shortbread Cupcakes – Gluten Free & Vegan
This is a gem of recipe, it’s delicious, healthier, and oh so pretty!
Chocolate Strawberry Shortbread Cupcakes - Gluten Free & Vegan
Recipe type: Desert, Gluten Free
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- For the Frosting:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup Margarine (recommended: Earth Balance Organic Soy-Free Non-Hydrogenated Buttery Spread)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners
- In the bowl of a mixer add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt, mix on low until combined-less than a minute. In a separate bowl stir together the soy milk, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and espresso until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the mixer bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until smooth and well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly among the lined cupcakes, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean-it's ok if they're a little moist.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool, once they are, slice the top ⅓ of each and spread with frosting and a few strawberry slices. Place the top back on, add some frosting and a strawberry.
- For the frosting:
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. Combine the confectioners' sugar, margarine, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until combined. With the mixer running, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until the desired buttercream consistency is reached