Chocolate Zucchini Raspberry Cake Roll
Ever have some leftover zucchini and not know what to do with it? Well now I have the perfect recipe for you to utilize those zucchini, and what could be better than using it in a chocolate cake roll?
It was actually quite easy to make, and you can’t even taste the zucchini in the chocolate cake! The fresh raspberries bring out the rich chocolate notes in this beautiful chocolate cake roll.
- For the Cake: 3 eggs
- 1 Tbs Vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 cups shredded peeled zucchini (that was two small zucchinis for me)
- For the filling: 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 Pint raspberries
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl (or that of a stand mixer) beat together eggs and vanilla. Add in flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well-this batter will be thick. Stir in the zucchini with a sturdy mixing spoon and combine well. Line a baking pan that is one inch thick with parchment paper and then spray lightly with cooking spray. Spread batter into a long rectangular shape. Bake for 10 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Then turn out onto another sheet of parchment paper that has been heavily sprinkled with powdered sugar. Peel off the parchment paper that it was baked with, and then slowly roll up the cake, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack (minimum 30 minutes. )
- For the filling: In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat well, when it is smooth, then add in the raspberries an beat a few times so that they break up a little.
- Unroll the cake, spread filling over cake to within 1 inch of the edges. Roll up again, and dust with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Store in refrigerator.