Citrus Almond Torte with Summer Berries
Do you ever need a refreshing something or other to bring to summer gatherings? I most certainly did until I came across this gem, I can’t tell you how delicious it is and how many compliments I’ve gotten on it! It is definitely one of my all time favorite recipes that I’ve made for a number of occasions and it has come out perfectly every time!
- For the Torte: Parchment paper and cooking spray
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs almond flour
- ⅔ cup corn flour-finely ground up cornmeal
- 4 Large eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 2 tbs grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs fresh orange juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the topping:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 cups berries
- Heat oven to 350. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine ⅓ cup sugar and flours in a bowl
- Whip ⅓ cup sugar and egg yolks in another bowl with an electric mixer about 5 minutes. Beat in zest, oil, lemon juice and orange juice
- Beat egg whites and salt in a third bowl with an electric mixer until frothy. Beat in remaining ⅓ cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold ⅓ of egg-white mixture into batter. Fold in remaining egg-white mizture. Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. When cooled release from springform and gently put on serving plate.
- For the topping: Combine all ingredients except for the berries and mix. Add the berries and spoon onto the cake.
If you’ll notice, this recipe is extremely similar to the recipe I posting making mango smoothie cake, that recipe was modified from this one, the “mother” recipe! I have made several modifications depending on what I have in the house, but this is the best.