Grilled Brunch (Grilled Fruit Toasts & Breakfast Potatoes)
Whether you’re looking for a unique brunch to enjoy when you’re camping or you’re at a tailgate super early for the big game and you’ve got your grill, I’ve got you covered for an amazingly delicious grilled brunch of grilled fruit toasts and breakfast potatoes.
When my weekly Door to Door Organics box arrived last week it contained peaches and other stone fruits that looked so fresh and beautiful, I wanted to use them immediately. As part of my delivery, I had also ordered some other pantry staples – that’s one of the many things I love about Door to Door Organics, I order everything I need, like bread and almond butter and it all gets delivered right to my door!
With the weather slowly warming up, all I want to do is be outside, grilling my ever meal. During the week I’m rushing around and barely have time for even 10 minute breakfasts, but on the weekends, I like to take time and get creative, and grilling brunch is something I have wanted to do for forever, especially with camping season starting.
I absolutely hate when I’m looking for grilling/campfire recipe (especially breakfast ones) and they list ingredients like eggs and meat or things that are just unrealistic to bring into the great outdoors. Do I want to be lugging around a giant cooler full of things? Not so much. And how about a pan and other utensils to cook the eggs and such with– do I want to bring those with me? Again, not so much. I want something that I can prep at home and that won’t require that much involvement when I’m putting it together.
Both these breakfast dishes – the grilled fruit toasts and the breakfast potatoes – are dishes that can be made ahead of time and require minimal hands-on involvement.
For the breakfast potatoes you simply cut up the potatoes and onions and season them and make a foil packet. All you do to cook the breakfast potatoes is to put the packet on the grill and let it cook away. That’s it!
For the grilled fruit toasts you simply cut the fruit and stir it with some cinnamon and sugar. I put the fruit in a big sealable zip lock bag and package the skewers separately, and then to assemble all you do is put the fruit on the skewers and grill the fruit skewers and the bread for a few minutes. Then to assemble the grilled fruit toasts you’ll spread a thin layer of almond butter on the toasts and put the fruit from a skewer on the bread and enjoy.
The only other item you’ll need to bring with you are tongs and few serving plates – super easy, right?
This grilled brunch would also be a fun family summer activity to get outdoors on the weekends when the weather is nice. Here’s to grilled brunch, summertime, and all the wonderful produce from Door to Door Organics!
- For the breakfast potatoes:
- 1 lb baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ onion, chopped (about ½ cup chopped onions)
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- Aluminum foil
- For the grilled fruit toasts
- 4 pieces of whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 plum, pit removed and sliced
- 1 peach, pit removed and sliced
- 1 nectarine, pit removed and sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 skewers
- Light the grill.
- For the breakfast potatoes:
- In a bowl combine potatoes and salt, parsley, garlic salt, paprika, onion and butter pieces and stir.
- Lay three pieces of aluminum foil (each about two feet long). Spoon potato mixture into the middle of the top piece of aluminum oil and fold into a packet. Turn the packet over so that the packet is seam side down on the next piece of aluminum foil.
- Fold the next layer of aluminum oil onto the packet and again flip it seam side down and fold the last layer of foil onto the packet.
- Place packet on the grill and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into the top of the foil, stir and enjoy.
- For the grilled fruit toasts:
- Cut all the fruit and put in a bowl or a big plastic sealable bag. Pour in the sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Carefully place fruit slices onto the skewers.
- Grill bread (1 minute per side).
- Spread one tablespoon of almond butter on the bread.
- Grill the fruit skewers, flipping once after 3-5 minutes. Remove skewers from grill and transfer skewers to a plate.
- To assemble the fruit toasts simply remove fruit from the skewer and place on top of the almond butter and enjoy!