I got back from the grocery store and looked down at my list…ooops, I forgot Granola! So I decided to make some granola because I’d seen a post from The Lemon Bowl which looked very yummy, so I got inspired and made some. Let me tell you, gone are the days of buying this stuff! Yes, it took a little bit of babying, but it was well worth it, the results were a flavorful, healthy granola! A side bonus was that my kitchen smelled amazing for the rest of the week after baking this. Here is the recipe for Homemade Nutty Granola:
- 3 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
- ⅔ cup chopped nuts (I used ⅓ cup pecans & ⅓ cup walnuts)
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Honey
- 4 Tbs Flax Seed Meal
- 1.5 Tbs Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 300, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a small pot whisk together peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are melted together. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine remaining dry ingredients (oats, nuts, flax seed) and coat with the liquid mixture. Combine very well-you may have to use your hands to make sure everything gets incorporated. Spread out on the parchment paper covered cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning and gently stirring the granola every 5 minutes. Allow to completely cool and then store in an air tight container.
The finished product: