Lamb Shepherds Pie with Portobella and Carrots
I had a few random ingredients in my fridge (1 portobella mushroom cap, a few carrots, 3 small potatoes) that I wanted to use, and the best idea I had was combining them into a sort-of Shepherds Pie, it was really good and perfect for a rustic winter dinner.
- 1 lb ground lamb seasoned with nutmeg, salt, garlic salt and onion powder
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 portobella mushroom chopped
- 1 can tomato paste
- 5 carrots peeled and cut
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 3 potatoes, peeled and boiled
- 1 Cup Cheddar, shredded
- 4 Tbs skim milk
- 1 tbs butter or smart balance
- Preheat oven to 400. In a pan saute the onion and carrots in the olive oil, after 2 minutes, add the ground lamb, seasonings and portobella. Cook until meat is almost not pink anymore, then add the can of tomato paste, fill the can with water and add, and then add the Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and spoon along the bottom of a baking dish.
- For the mashed potatoes boil and drain the potatoes, then add the milk, butter and cheddar, spoon over the meat mixture, bake for 30 minutes, let cool for 10 and then enjoy!
plating to be served