Mini Upside-down Pineapple Cakes
I had a can of crushed pineapple in the fridge and had to use it, so I thought that I’d do a twist on the ever so popular pineapple upside down cake that I’ve never had. These turned out great, a perfect little cake bite.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 eggs
- ⅓ C white sugar
- 4 T pineapple juice
- ⅓ C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ stick butter
- ⅔ C brown sugar
- 1 Can crushed pineapple (small can will do, you will only need 24½ tablespoons worth)
- maraschino cherries (I did not use in this batch because I didn't have any on hand, but I think a quarter or half of one on top would have been a nice flavor boost)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin tin (I used a mini 24 cup muffin tin) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add egg, white sugar, and pineapple juice. Beat for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and turn mixer back on for 2 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar. Stir on low heat for one minute.
- Place a 1 tsp of crushed pineapple in the bottom of each muffin tin. Spoon over a layer of the warm brown sugar mixture. Pour cake mixture over to fill muffin tin ¾ of the way full. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of each cake to help loosen in case it sticks a little. Place a wire cooling rack on top, and quickly flip over on top of sheet tray to catch extra drippings. Place on a wire rack to cool.