Orange Cranberry Cake Recipe
With the holidays and holiday parties fast approaching, are you looking for recipes? I know I am, and this orange cranberry cake recipe is perfect for parties and crowds. It’s sweet, tart, and just screams holidays!
Last year, around the holidays my mother-in-law tried a new recipe out around the holidays for a family dinner. It was for a cranberry cake, it was delicious, but needed a little something. She said she found the recipe on facebook (speaking of facebook – are we friends? I’d love for us to be) and some of the commenters had suggested adding a glaze. So she made it again with a glaze, and oh my goodness, it was SO GOOD.
This cranberry cake with orange glaze showed up – and subsequently disappeared- at parties and family get togethers. Personally, I could not get enough of this cake.
The fresh, tart cranberries baked in a sweet cake with a zippy orange glaze. So good!
So this year, in preparation of the holidays, I asked my mother in law for the recipe so that I could make it and share it with you guys. I’m all about the holidays, did you see this 5 ingredient broccoli divine recipe? It’s a staple around the holidays – just like this cake will be!
I always like sharing the sources of recipes, if I didn’t make them up myself. The recipe my mother-in-law shared had no source, but I did some googling, and found that it was based on a recipe for cranberry Christmas cake from the Barefeet In The Kitchen Blog (whose cookbook I talked about in this cheesy chicken and rice enchilada casserole post!) So this orange cranberry cake recipe is adapted from a Christmas cake recipe, and it couldn’t be more fitting.
Next time you’re wondering what to make for a holiday party – or if you have fresh cranberries that need to be used – look no further than this delicious orange glazed cranberry cake, your guests will love it!
- For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- ½ tablespoon orange zest (about ¼ of an orange zested)
- For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2½ tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (about ¾ of an orange zested)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until thickened (3 minutes).
- Next add the butter and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated, then add in the baking soda and flour and beat until combined.
- With a spoon, stir in the fresh cranberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, in a separate bowl combine all glaze ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Wait for the cake to cool for half an hour, then pour the glaze over the warm cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, and then cut into little squares.