SA Braai – South African Boerewors Sausages – Local Wisconsin Sausage Company
I love working with local ingredients, I love supporting local, and now, living in Wisconsin, I love me a good sausage as pretty much every Wisconsinite does. So when I got approached by SA Braai about trying some of their South African sausages, I was so happy and couldn’t wait to try the product, and boy am I glad I did, the sausages are absolutely DELICIOUS! I picked up a package of their South African Boerewors at the Wauwautosa Framers Market where I actually got to meet the owners of SA Braai– Wendi (a Milwaukee native) and her husband Matthew (the butcher from South Africa) and got to try a bite of a grilled Boerewors Sausage which has a really cool meaning (from their website) “Boerewors Sausage – A popular essential in South African cuisine, made from premium pork, beef and a blend of special seasonings. They are considered the “brat” of South Africa. In Afrikaans, “boer” means a farmer and “wors” means sausage.”
I made two recipes with them, Sausage Stuffed Dinner Rolls (I will be making these as appetizers for every occasion now because they were so good) and uncased Sausage with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce over Egg Noodles.
- 3 South Afrian Boerewor Sausages
- 8 Frozen Dinner Rolls
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp chili power
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- Defrost dinner rolls in the fridge overnight, or leave out at room temperature for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a nonstick pan heat 3 Boerewor Sausages with a dash of olive oil and let them brown on each side. When cooked through (about 15 min), remove from heat.
- In a small bowl mix Olive oil, crushed garlic cloves, chili powder and allspice.
- Cut sausages into 1-1.5 inch slices (I got about 5 slices per sausage. Cut the dinner roll dough in half, flatten and stretch a little with hands, then wrap around a piece of sausage (make sure that it is closed on the bottom) and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush with olive oil/garlic/spice mixture. Allow dough to sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before putting in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown, then enjoy!
The lovely sausages being cut, and then what they look like right when they come out of the oven!
For the uncased Sausage with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce over Egg Noodles the recipe was really easy.
1 batch Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
3 Boerewor Sausages-uncased
1 lb Wide Egg Noodles
2 Tbs Grated Parmesan Cheese for topping
Remove the casing of the Sausage and brown in a pan (about 10 minutes). When it is almost done cooking (there are only a few pink pieces) pour the sauce into the pan and allow to warm up (about 5 min). Cook Egg Noodles According to package instructions and set aside. Serve sauce with sausage over egg noodles and sprinkle a little parmesan on top before serving, enjoy!
Note: While I was cooking, Nick snuck up to the pan with a chip and treated it like a dip, I of course had to try it too, and it was delicious! It tasted like a nacho dip, but there was no cheese in it…yum (and another recipe idea )
To the left is the dinner, above is Nick sneaking the sauce as a dip!
Disclaimer: SA Braai gave me a package of sausages to try- but all thoughts, comments, and recipes are 100% my own.