Slow Cooker Beef and Sweet Potato Stew
Warm, delicious, and comforting, this slow cooker beef and sweet potato stew should definitely be included on your weekly meal plan!
Last weekend when I shared the meal prep that I was doing for the week ahead (one recipe of which was the chicken stir fry soba noodles bowls) something cool happened – I received a ton of requests for the recipe! I have never received so many inquiries about the a recipe I was making behind the scenes as I did for this one (I was sharing on snapchat, username: Sweetphi and on Instagram), this slow cooker beef and sweet potato soup, you guys wanted (demanded in some cases, lol) the recipe. And I’m here to oblige!
Soups and stews are so awesome in the winter, they’re warm and comforting – they’re pretty much all-around fantastic!
This recipe accidentally came together. I was making this 5 ingredient green beans and beef, but then wanted to bulk it up with some veggies to make it more of a meal (read: I was too lazy to make a side dish and wanted a meal that could be made in the slow cooker). I added in a chopped up bell pepper and sweet potato, and wouldn’t you know it, it came together in an amazing stew. Over the holidays when I visited my parents I was telling my mom how much I was in love with cinnamon, and she gave me this awesome mason jar full of it – how cool is that? I totally encourage you to use it as a seasoning in this slow cooker recipe, it really goes well with the beef and sweet potatoes (and don’t worry, it’s not ‘dessert-like’ at all).
It’s hearty enough as a stew to be served as a meal, and it is a healthy one at that, coming in at around 327 calories per serving.
Also, last week I posted two chicken recipes (these chicken stir fry soba noodle bowls and this 5 ingredient chicken and sweet potatoes) so I should really have dubbed it ‘chicken week’. This week I’m posting a slow cooker recipe today, and can you guess what I’m planning on posting on Friday? Hint: it may or may not involve a slow cooker, and another hint, it may or may not include 5 ingredients – stay tuned!
I have been loving using my slow cooker on the weekends. This is the slow cooker (crockpot) that I use. Slow cookers are really great for making meals that I can make ahead for my husband and I to take for lunch throughout the week. What I’ve found has been working for me in the meal planning department is making 2-3 bigger meals on the weekend and then divvying them up. I also like to make ahead a snack (like these oatmeal cookie energy bites or these granola bars). I also keep a list of 3-4 dinner ideas with ingredients I have in the house, that way I can just look over at the list and have ideas of what I’m going to make for dinner.
When you’re in need of a fantastic stew, make this beef and sweet potato one, it will not disappoint.
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (or you could use 1 sweet potato and 1 regular potato)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bag (1lb) frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) of crushed tomatoes (I like using fire roasted crushed tomatoes)
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- handful of chopped parsley
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat melt butter and saute onions for 5 minutes, add in the crushed garlic clove and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then remove from heat and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the beef, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, and green beans into the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the seasonings into the slow cooker and pour in the crushed tomatoes. Stir once or twice, then set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours (I stirred it about twice during cooking, but that is not necessary, you can just 'set it and forget it').
- To serve divide into four bowls and add a dollop of plain yogurt on top and sprinkle with fresh parsley and enjoy.