Tequila Lime Marinated Steak Tacos
My husband Nick gets credit for this amazingness you are about to drool over! He asked me to help him make dinner last year because he wanted to ‘try something’ and boy am I glad I helped-if only to learn how to make this dish- because every time we make it, it turns out perfectly…I think he needs to ‘try’ things in the kitchen more often if this is what happens!
The recipe is super simple, only has a few taco components, and just melts in your mouth, it is seriously soooo…. good! I think one of the keys to this recipe is the cheese that is used (I actually came across the cheese this taco uses because it is made by my favorite brand of cheese) which is Salsa Asiago Cheese by Sartori (they are a local Wisconsin company!) Here is the recipe, and a picture of the cheese is below so you know what to go look for in the cheese section of your grocery store.
- For the Steak & Marinade:
- 1-2 lbs Beef Tenderloin
- 1 Cup Tequila
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Limes (juice of 2 limes)
- 1 Tbs Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- For the Guacamole:
- 5 Avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small tomato, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 lime (juice of 1 lime)
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 1-2 Tbs fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- For the Tacos
- 10-15 Flour Tortillas
- 4-5 oz Sartori Salsa Asiago Cheese, Shredded
- For the Steak & Marinade: In a large bowl whisk together all the marinade ingredients, add the Beef Tenderloin, spoon the marinade over the meat, then cover with plastic wrap. Let marinade 1 hour or up to 8 in the refrigerator. After it is done marinating grill it until internal temperature reaches 130-135 on a meat thermometer (ours was medium rare in the middle and a little more done towards the outsides). Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing in very thin slices. Alternatively, if you do not have a grill, preheat oven to 450, and cook in oven for about 20-45 minutes (depending on the size of your tenderloin and how well done you like it) remove and let rest to keep the juices in, and then slice very thin.
- For the Guacamole: Mince and chop up all the vegetables, put everything in a bowl and mash everything together until it gets to the desired consistency.
- For the Tacos/assembly: Preheat oven to 350 and warm the taco shells for 3-5 minutes to get them warm. For the assembly serve taco shell, 2-3 slices of the beef tenderloin, 2-3 tbs of guacamole, and a sprinkling of the cheese. Watch them disappear!
This is the cheese you’re looking for!