Lamb meatballs with yogurt sauce recipe
These lamb meatballs with yogurt sauce served over egg noodles are my preferred version of a “meatballs and noodles” recipe. The dish is super flavorful, and all the ingredients combine perfectly to make a dinner the whole family will love!
How was your weekend? My husband and I took Ben up north to visit his grandparents (Ben’s great-grandparents) for a much needed vacation. It was a super relaxing weekend, where we really did nothing, well, not nothing, I read two books – one chick lit beachy read called The Identicals and one baby/parenting book called On Becoming Babywise: Giving Your Infant The Gift of Nighttime Sleep while my hubby and Ben napped lol. It was so nice to just relax, here are some photos from the weekend:
While we were gone, my mother-in-law watched Clover (our fur baby), which is the perfect segue to tell you about this recipe.
This recipe is from my mother-in-law. My in-laws are all really great cooks (we have Sunday dinner at their house on Sundays and it’s always amazing). These meatballs with yogurt sauce are my absolute favorite thing she makes – and that’s saying a lot because there are so many amazing dishes she makes.
When I first had it, I’m pretty sure I had something like 3 servings. It’s SO GOOD, and she always said how easy it was to make, so I asked her for the recipe to make it, and sure enough, these meatballs with yogurt sauce are an amazing easy recipe.
One thing about my mother-in-law and cooking is that she always uses precise measurements, ingredients and cook times. It just so happened that when I was making this recipe for the first time she was at our house, watching me. I was going initially going to improvise the recipe, but under her watchful eye, that was not a possibility lol. And you know what? I’m glad I kept the recipe as is, because it’s just perfect! She said this is a Weight Watchers recipe, but I scoured the web and couldn’t find it, just know it’s a healthy and flavorful dinner recipe that needs to go on the rotation.
The lamb meatballs are baked, then simmered in diced tomatoes which makes them super soft and gives them an almost fluffy texture. The meatballs are served with a Greek yogurt and garlic sauce and over egg noodles. This is one of my favorite dinner recipes, it’s also perfect for making for meal prep/planning! I’d love to know: what is your favorite version of meatballs and noodles?
- 1½ lbs ground lamb
- ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (or plain breadcrumbs mixed with Italian 1 teaspoon dried or 1 tablespoon fresh herbs like parsley, oregano and thyme)
- 2 eggs
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 package wide egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix lamb, breadcrumbs, eggs, onion, garlic and salt until well combined, then form into meatballs and put onto the prepared baking sheet. I like to make bigger size meatballs by using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, but they are also great as smaller tablespoon size meatballs.
- Bake meatballs for 20 minutes.
- In a pot or pan with 2 inch sides pour diced tomatoes and place baked meatballs in the pot and allow to simmer for an hour, stirring a few times (about every 20 minutes).
- Combine Greek yogurt and 2 garlic cloves and stir, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
- To serve: divide egg noodles into bowls, place meatballs in tomatoes on top of noodles and then a spoonful of yogurt sauce on top and enjoy!