Macaroons made with Pineapple
These little Macaroon bites taste like an elevated Almond Joy. They are deceptively delicious and I feel like this recipe would have been perfect for Jessica Seinfelds book ‘Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids to Eating Good Food‘ since they are made with pineapple instead of loads of sugar, thus them healthier.
I’ve made this recipe quite a few times, and this time when there were a few left-overs (gasp!) that I didn’t want sitting in my kitchen because I would have eaten them ALL, I sent them with my husband to work. He came home and said everyone really liked them, and one of his coworkers was surprised at how much he liked them because he didn’t care for pineapple in desserts! I’ll take the compliment and run (well, I won’t actually run but I’ll walk fast?)
- 2⅔ Cups Coconut Flakes - 1 (7oz) bag sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Egg White liquid (I used the egg whites in a carton, but it would be about 5 egg whites from cracked eggs)
- ½ Cup Crushed Pineapple -1 (8oz) Can
- ½ Cup Flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 24 Almonds (optional)
- 24 mini cupcake liners (make sure they are the nonstick kind or spray the inside before baking).
- In a medium saucepan combine first 6 ingredients (through pinch of salt). Stir constantly for 10 minutes until the combination is sticky-it will condense and stick to a spoon instead of being liquidy. Turn heat off and add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Put saucepan in the refrigerator on a hot pat and let cool for an hour. It will be very thick after an hour of cooling.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a mini muffin tin with 24 liners-you want to make sure the liners are non stick, otherwise spray the inside of the liners with a little cooking spray-or else the wrappers will be difficult to get off.
- Put 3-4 chocolate chips at the bottom of each of the cups, then scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of the coconut-pineapple mixture into the cups.
- Press an almond into the top of the the cups if desired. Bake for 25 min until golden brown. Remove from oven and move to a cooling rack, allow to cool and the serve.