Yogurt Lemon Chicken and Feta Salad
This easy to make yogurt lemon chicken and feta salad is by far my favorite salad ever! Chicken is marinated in yogurt and lemon to create juicy and tangy chicken that is perfectly complimented by creamy feta and salad. One can also add toppings like sunflower seeds and avocado to make this a truly delicious salad.
I have a love/hate relationship with salad. It’s more of a love relationship though. I love a good salad, but for some reason I don’t make them nearly enough!
My husband was teasing me as I was raving on and on about this salad, he said ‘you resist the salad, but you love salad!’
And it’s true. THIS salad, I love this particular salad. It’s so easy to put together, and is perfect for lunch or dinner. What I like to do is make a big batch of yogurt and lemon marinated chicken, then use it for salad toppings throughout the week. Last week I made a double batch of yogurt lemon chicken and then for the rest of the week we had this salad for lunch. I ended up adding sunflower and avocado to the salad, and it was truly the perfect salad!
I was making this salad when photographer Angela Peterson of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel came to photograph me for a feature written by Kristen Kierzek for the Journal on the SweetPhi blog!!!!! Click here to read the article where I share about behind the scenes life and more about how Five Ingredients Friday was born! I also made my favorite salted caramel chocolate chip cookies for the photographer! Here are some pictures Angela Peterson took for the article:
Angela had the most amazing camera equipment. I was drooling over it, and she even let me capture a picture of her taking pictures:
In the article I also share about my Reader Recreations page. It’s something that is truly near and dear to my heart, I absolutely love seeing when readers make SweetPhi blog recipe, and want to share the recreations with the world. I recently added a link to the Reader Recreations page on the right sidebar of my website so that it’s easy to find at any time!
Next time you’re looking for a delicious salad, look no further:
- For the yogurt lemon chicken
- 1 ¼ Lbs. Chicken breasts (3 chicken breasts, each cut into 3s)
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt (I like to use Stonyfield organic yogurt)
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp Mediterranean sea salt (or a mix of dried oregano and sea salt)
- For the salad:
- 2 bags of spring lettuce or greens of your choice
- 4-6 oz. feta, crumbled
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Optional: sun flower seeds and avocado for toppings/mix ins
- In a bowl stir together yogurt, juice of ½ a lemon and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the chicken strips and let chicken marinate for ½ an hour or overnight (cover and put in the refrigerator if marinating overnight).
- Heat oil on high in a skillet or frying pan and add in the garlic slices. Add in the chicken strips, shaking off excess marinade before placing in the skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and Mediterranean Sea salt. Allow each side to cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook other side another 5 minutes. If you notice that there is too much liquid in the skillet, drain it off.
- While chicken is cooking empty lettuce into a salad bowl.
- As soon as chicken is done cooking, place chicken on top of lettuce, then sprinkle feta crumbles on top of chicken, and squeeze lemon juice over the salad and drizzle olive oil around it (the lemon and olive oil will act as a salad dressing). Toss the salad and serve!
- Alternatively you would wait until the chicken has cooled before placing it on the salad.