The Whole Bowl – Tali Sauce Recipe – Vegetarian & GF
A month ago my husband and I went on a trip to Portland & Seattle (click here or here for pics) where we had so much good food! In Portland, there are entire city blocks with Food Trucks lined around them, and on one of these blocks, we came across a Food Cart that was called and served only one dish, called The Whole Bowl. Here is a picture of the food truck (note the pretty picture), and then us holding the whole bowl itself (so good!)
The bowl itself is said from their website to be “like eating a hug” and is “a comforting and healthy medley of brown rice, red and black beans, fresh avocado, salsa, black olives, sour cream, cheddar, cilantro, Tali Sauce and trace amounts of attitude.” With the Tali Sauce being the secret ingredient and is referred to many as “crack-sauce” and I can see why!
When we got home, I immediately set out making this dish, and came pretty close with my adaptation of a recipe of ‘Oh So Close Tali Sauce’ I found from Zeste blog which I adapted to form the recipe below. Surprisingly, one of the key ingredients is Nutitional Yeast (it can be found in the spice bins at natural foods stores or can be purchased online here).
Below is the recipe – I’ve gotten such great feedback that I did another post on this Tali sauce with some more pictures here!
After making this sauce numerous times, I have found that it is best when made in a food processor – like this one (<–is the one I use).
- For the Tali Sauce:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (found in bins at health food stores)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup chickpeas (I used canned Garbanzo beans), drained
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp each of: cumin, curry powder, turmeric powder, salt, garlic salt, onion salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- Bowl Ingredients:
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup per bowl)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans (1/4 can per bowl)
- ½ cup salsa or pico de gallo (about 2 tablespoons per bowl)
- ¼ cup black olives, roughly chopped (1 Tbs per bowl)
- 1 avocado, sliced (1/4 avocado per bowl)
- ½-1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded (2 Tbs per bowl)
- ¼ cup sour cream (1 Tbs per bowl)
- ¼ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped (1 generous pinch per bowl.)
- Tali Sauce (1/4 cup per bowl)
- For the sauce: measure out all ingredients and put in a food processor or blender and blend until silky smooth. If you want yours to be more liquidy, add additional tablespoon by tablespoon of water until desired consistency is reached. The sauce makes enough for 4 bowls, so store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week if not using all immediately (I've also frozen it and let it thaw before serving, it is also good microwaved and served warm.)
- Bowl Assembly: In the bottom of a bowl place brown rice and beans, then salsa, then ½ the amount of Tali Sauce, then the the cheddar, olives, and on the sides the sour cream and remaining Tali Sauce, and top of with cilantro...yum!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram orFacebook with #sweetphiblog or email me at email@example.com, I always love featuring your pictures on my Reader Recreations page!